I asked her if I could just go ahead and get the helmet. She said that was totally up to me. She said some parents prefer to treat the problem right away with the Starband, and some prefer to wait until the child is around 2 to see the same results a Starband would give. It is impossible to predict if the head will reshape on it's own or not.
I said I worried a lot about Erik's head and had thought about it with Jamie and decided at this point to get the Starband. Erik would wear it for up to three months and this would come close to guaranteeing his head would improve. I do realize it is not severe like some other kids have, however, I am Erik's mother and I want to solve this problem as soon as possible, so he doesn't have any issues in the long term.
As far as I know, in two weeks, we will get a call and have his head scanned at the Children's Hospital Orthotics area. Then they will order his Starband from Florida and fit it a few weeks after that. I think it will be on him by the time we go to Hawaii.
He will wear it 23 hours a day. One hour off for bathing ( or swimming when we are in Hawaii I guess ). It will not hurt him and he will likely not mind wearing it. It is all short term!
It's ok if you think I am being a bit of a crazy mother. Helmets aren't for everybody but I decided to be bold and to go ahead and deal with the problem. I do realize it is a small problem and things could be a lot worse.
3 comments:
I know how worried you've been about this so I think it's a good idea to just do it. It's not going to harm him in any way. You are a great mom!
Rebecca G
Aww thanks :) Can't wait for Mommy and me Yoga with you and ERG!
You made the right decision. I think it will help you sleep at night knowing you don't have to go and turn his head or worry about which way he is facing. It will put years back onto your life!
You are the resident expert on this topic now. I can see other mommies flocking to your blog for this topic specifically!
Post a Comment