Wednesday, February 4, 2009

The STARband and visiting Amelia





Erik got his STARband yesterday, on February 3rd. He had to wear it 3-4 hours on, 1 hour off. I had to check for red marks on his head to see how it is adjusting. There were a few red marks at first, so the occupational therapist shaved the inside of the helmet to make a bit of room for those areas. Since then, there haven't been any red or pink marks on his head. 


Tonight I will have Erik wear the helmet all night. By tomorrow, he should be fully into the routine of wearing it 23 hours a day, with 1 hour off for bathing and cleaning the helmet. 


Today we went swimming with Mormor, (the helmet came off for that), and then out to Cochrane, about 30 mins west of Calgary to visit Amelia and her mother. Erik had a nap there as Amelia did. They only had half an hour to play together. 


Erik doesn't mind the helmet at all. As other parents of kids with helmets, it affects us parents more than the child.


3 comments:

k-e-household said...

Amelia is ADORABLE!! Such chubby cheeks :)
His starband looks very lightweight, and you are right, it appears like he doesn't mind it! He looks kinda cute, like my little superhero :)

Care said...

But won't the top of his head get burnt in Maui? He looks like a little biker baby :)

Seener Beaner said...

Jamie wants to add a cape, but of course that isn't a good idea.

Care, I have some sunscreen I can put on his head... but I guess it shouldn't be getting into the material inside the helmet. He won't fit any of his awesome sun hats!! When he goes in the pool or in the ocean, we have to take his helmet off anyways for that part.

I am so glad the helmet comes decorated (there were 25 patterns to chose from, including an american flag one...) so it looks less medical.